Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Out with the old....

Shortly I'll be posting some photos of what happened to alot of old cover art of mine. Mostly garbage airbrush work done in the 80's and early 90's. It was attacked by mold as it was stored in a damp basement for some years. But it gives me the opportunity to start snapping these old paintings in half. Art therapy!!! Nothing really recent, but alot of the junk I did 20 or so years ago for kid's books and so on. So, fear not I continue to blog. I can't believe how terrible some of my "airbrush" work looked back in the day, it'll be good for me to see it going into dumpsters!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Robert Saint John said...

To my surprise, I came across some old pen and ink art of yours in some late 80s Star Trek roleplaying game (FASA) supplement(s) a few months back. Were you doing any other gaming work back then?

1:36 AM  
Blogger David B. Ellis said...

I've always thought you're a bit too hard on your old painting style. Yes, the new style is, overall, better. But some of those airbrushed paintings captured my imagination in a powerful way. DAVID AND GOLIATH, ALONE, and the cover to ENGINES OF GOD, just to name a few of my personal favorites that appear in Alien Horizons.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, If there is any half way decent sci fi astro stuff that is cleanable I'd be happy to take it off your hands and give you some dough for it too.

dave

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob,
I know what you mean. In fact a wood duck painting that I did and never finished sat in my studio for years-then I torched it. Sometimes old work is like a friendly spectre and other times like a poltorgist.
Good for you and keep painting the killer work!
JR Monks

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't destroy them, throw them up on your site with a price tag - one man's old moldy painting is another man's treasure..

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Joe Meils said...

Tell you what, Bob. If you really hate them, you can send them to me, and I'll pay the cost of shipping. At the very least,by looking over your early originals, I might learn something about technique. And I'll promise in writing to never let them see the light of day until we're both dead and buried.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Joe. Alot of them are old advertising crap I did. Most of them aren't anything more than sketches and loose tries at things. Upon looking I found that in fact I sold off most of some old stuff at Chicon 2000 in mt "Window painting" session. I made a whopping $4300 in the course of two hours. All went to happy homes. What is left are just water damaged advertising work of long ago...line art with wash, etc.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home