Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Travel Channel, Recession, etc

Just some random thoughts. I was watching THE TRAVEL CHANNEL. What's amazing is what a vicarious experience it can be to travel via a TV channel. There are some amazing things to be seen but who wants the experience of lost luggage,cancelled planes, airport security,bad water, worse food, possible terrorists... and costs-especially now?? It's why I'd never want to go on a cruise...I can't stand boats and I'd probably get sick!

I have resigned off of travelling this year. Far anyway, or at least out of the country. I turned down some Artist Guest slots only because I didn't want to travel or organize myself to do so. Locally, for me, there are some fine museums and cities like Boston, and New York which have some amazing things to see.

But watching the Travel Channel, why the need to actually go someplace? I found this a pretty amazing realization just recently. Artists travel in their minds. This is sort of the basis for alot of good sci fi art, and even astrological paintings.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob: Does this mean that you won't be attending the World Con in Montreal? It's not too far from your home. It wouldn't be a World Con without you.

Yours,
Geordie

2:22 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

probably gonna pass on Montreal. It's complicated for me getting into CAnada without a problem in regards to art, etc, So I tedn to avoid it. We may go to it for a day and a night. But for sure the Australian worldcon

5:48 PM  
Blogger Annalisa said...

Are you still going to IlluXCon?? Not to pressure you but... I'm hoping the answer is yes!

It's funny, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who sees the airline experience as reason enough not to go somewhere. I had an absolutely horrible time in April when my parents and I returned from France via Air India. The plane was absolutely packed, it smelled dirty, there was garbage everywhere because the plane didn't get cleaned between stages of its journey (it came all the way from India), most of the toilets didn't work... and then more problems abounded once we landed. My mom's suitcase was left behind (the one with all the souvenirs in it!), we were yelled at twice when my mom stopped to tie her shoe and to sift through her purse for ID, and were overall ignored.

...Anyway, there are so many places that I would like to go (especially tropical ones right now!), but rather than deal with that I watch the Travel Channel. I especially like Samantha Brown, except she's getting snobby lately about avoiding tourist spots. As you said, I can travel there in my imagination, and for now that's enough. Traveling in one's mind is so much more comfortable. And free!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

I'm at Illuxcon 2 for sure!!!

Cold weather sucks. Big time. I'm all for getting outta here. Even a warm hotel would be nice. Boskone in three weeks.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home