Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Think about it this way....

I lifted this photo off the net. It's a photo of a super, massive black hole in Centaurus A. A black hole is matter crushed so densely all that is left is gravity. It's not the size of the object which can be as small as a pinhead, it's the density of the matter-and the total sudden failure of the force holding the star's volume intact- which causes the gravitational collapse of a star into a small object that sucks in all matter, and even light into it like a bottomless pit. As matter is sucked in, it becomes so hot, it emits X-Rays and brilliant gases form around the accreation disk all heating up as they spiral into the black hole's gravity well. Where it goes is anyone's guess. My good friend Michio Kaku(yes, we're pals AND he likes Godzilla) could tell you more.
Oddly, replace the terms and you have the basics of this financial crisis ongoing.
But think about this: the sheer power of this galactic eater, if coming into close proximity of earth, would suck in everything you and I know, our world, the air we breath and water we drink and gold we spend...and the atoms in our bodies with the energy being spat out in two X-Ray jets of pure energy across the cosmos.
Now doesn't that put some perspective on things like image, money, wars and financial melt-downs? As my friend John Davis says, "When it all seems nuts, look up to space, it's all there"
I just re-read all that. And to think I only ever got fair grades in astronomy and completely failed algebra. Not bad.

5 Comments:

Blogger Roger said...

The best advice I ever got was, "Never name drop."

Joe Haldeman told me that.

;p

10:53 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Nah. I always do.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Michael A. Burstein said...

Black holes are always cool. Especially ones painted by Bob Eggleton, and hanging in my bedroom. :-)

8:07 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Just keep it in a flux field so it doesn't fall through your floor and set the earth off balance.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Davis, the effects artist? (The only John Davis I know of... we became friends after his "FX: How to Roll Your Own" article in a "vintage" issue of Starlog.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home