Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Thursday, July 24, 2008

A New Large Painting


Something visual. I'd realized I was getting pretty boring with all those non-visual posts. Ah, well, here's something I've been working on. It's only been NINE YEARS since I came up with the idea for it and sketched it in, over seven years ago, only to have the canvas gather dust. It's called THE RAINBOW DRAGON and it'll be a major sized work, about 30x40 inches and in oils.

These photos were taken by John A. Davis, over the weekend with his supercool camera. The painting is starting to look where it needs to be. These things always have a "crisis point" and I think I reached that and passed it. I also decided to put a small woman in the picture but, off to the right and not the "center" of attention.

Hopefully the painting will be my showpiece for Illuxcon down in PA this Fall. I'll post some better, closer photos soon!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It looks absolutely stunning. I love the palette. I'm squinting, is the reference shot for the figure?

1:53 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Eric! Yep, that's the reference shot. She winds up being slightly smaller on the actual painting. After consulting with friends they all agree it would give the dragon more power and presence and she should only be "scenery" and not the focus.
More, closer photos soon!!

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, I have loved your rainbow dragons since Chicon 2000 and have thought about this concept since you were painting in the "fishbowl" there. I bid on the rainbow dragon sketch at the Denvention worldcon last weekend but lost out and only managed to obtain your "Bard's Oath sketch" - another fine piece!!! I am really interested in this final finished piece. How heartbreaking would it be to sell it and have to do another one for Illuxcon???

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home