Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Monday, June 09, 2008

Something new....with wings!

Here's a new cover I did-it's in oil and 20x30 inches. It's for BARD'S OATH by Joanne Bertin. She finally has been writing her third book in a series started over ten years ago. I did a sketch for this, a few months ago and you can see how I changed things as it developed. I wanted to make the tree branches sort of working into the design of the castle and, the dragon, to tie it all together. The harp follows the angles of the dragon as well. I am a one for designing with alot of angles to create a sense of unease. My initial sketch had a ton of problems in it, and, Irene Gallo, who's a joy to work with, said I could ramp up the dragon a bit more. Personally, I think dragons are missing from covers these days, and we need to see more. There had to be a sense of gloom to it with maybe a ray of light to show some kind of hope. And I left room for type. Again, this goes to my mental note each time I start a cover: "K.I.S.S.-Keep It Simple Stupid". Remember it as it works.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! You've managed to make each
layer work nicely, giving each its due and leading the eye right along.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks! It was a fun piece to do,considering I had a paragraph to work from. But, I tried to do something that would make an effective "pop" with alot of shadows for drama.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Neutronman said...

Really nice, Bob. It has a strong "theatrical" vibe that I think works really well for the subject matter. Nice use of light and layering to really add dimension without getting too "busy".

I dig.

12:49 AM  
Blogger ces said...

Hmmm, I don't find any sense of unease in the cover at all.

What I "see" is a person playing the harp, oblivious to all around him, & a dragon sunning himself & listening to the music. Even the sky has opened to hear the music.

Very nice!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

John-thanks! Yeah, you know me. I love "cinematic". Hmm. I wonder why we get on so well!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Ces-thanks! That's a great way to see it!! When people find double meanings in art, like that, it's always cool. And you're right, it works that way too. I tried at least to be "cinematic" and go by the big picture. There was abit of editorial input into this-I had no book to go by and, editorial more or less told Irene Gallo what they wanted, and she gave me some instruction, and then some great leeway in regard to how the dragon is seen. There's an unsaid rumor around that "dragons are no longer in" on covers. truthfully,I can count on one hand how many times in the last year I have seen a cover with a dragon majorly depicted. Usually it's reduced to a tatoo(big on covers now!) or a shadow in the distance.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with your point that dragons are no longer featured as much as they should be on book covers anymore, and I am honestly very pleased to have stumbled across your blog today, Mr. Eggleton! I've been a fan of your dragons for a long time now, my favorite easily being the miniature dragon Fanuilh, from Daniel Hood's wonderful series. I look forward to perusing your art here on the site, and I couldn't get off to a better start than with this beautiful piece right here! I also love Joanne Bertin's books, and have been waiting quite a while to read number three, so this is good news to me! ;)

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so do you happen to know when she plans on being done with Bards Oath?

9:21 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Wish I knew!

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic News - I've been a fan of her's for years and I've searched the internet every few months for news. I cannot wait for this book, the previous two have been brilliant. The Last Dragonlord is in my top 3 favourite books of all time. Brilliant front cover btw.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I know what to watch for visually as well as author and title. Have read the first 2 books several times in the past and just read them again. Glad to know the 3rd book is finally coming. Nice cover!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home