Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Friday, March 07, 2008

New paintings...

In Space, You Can't Forget The Cat(oil, 18x24)


"O'Leary and The Dinosaurs"(17x24 oil)
Man am I tired out. Three major paintings in as many weeks. All pretty involved.
You've seen the Heinlein, so here, the top one is for an Andre Norton combo book. Has a space going cat in it. I wanted to make a cool nebula or some space galaxy in the background to punch it up with color-it is a cover so it's main job is to look cool. I like to put alot of diagonal lines, and "tilted" visuals happening in cover paintings which lends a feeling of action and chaos taking place. It contrasts nicely with the often horizonal typefaces. The bottom is one for a Keith Laumer book which had a dinosaur scene in it, and, well, you know me and dinosaurs...enjoy these while I enjoy some Sergio Leone "Dollar" westerns tonight on TCM!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Bierstadt said...

These look really great Bob. You really nail the Romantic style in the trees and rocks of "O'Leary and The Dinosaurs". Looks like a Fred Church tree!
-James

3:57 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Hey thanks! One of my "best" trees ever, I think. I even have photos of these which I used extensively. I have always felt that doing leaves and such individually, as Durand did, was unnecessary and, the the potental cause of a nervous breakdown. So I did the "Kensitt" route and made them more impressionistic..

4:30 PM  
Blogger David Berube BerubeArt said...

Your work is beautiful.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thank you!!!

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home