Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Isolation Room....

I did something this week I haven't done in ages. I worked basically marathon from Sunday...to this Sunday, developing ideas for paintings, working on a contracted book project's sketches, and finishing a major-wraparound painting. I really worked at this, in this last week spending more time in the studio-dawn to dusk-than I have ever in a long while. One of the worst attributes of artists are working habits. We love what we do. But life-and errands, delivering things, going to the post office, getting frames,picking up your mom from a trip to England-all just get in the way. Today I did one last push to finish up this major painting-it's a Cthuhlu in oils-but as with many of Brian Lumley's books I had a blank check creatively, which means I can do more or less, what I wanted. So, I did an epic. I stepped back from it today-after feeling like I was in an isolation room-and realized the piece was finally done. It's caked with oil paint, scraped on, brushed on, stabbed and daubed on-the way I like it. But it's done and I'm really completely exhausted...beat in fact. The nice part, of this kind of work is that while working on one painting, it generates ideas for at least six more. So I have to jot them all down in visual shorthand. Maybe I'll post those-they're VERY scribbly. I have some great paintings to come, and 2008 will be the year of more personal work. 2007 was the year of working in oils-a resolution that as we inexorably tumble toward 2008 in a little over eight or nine weeks-I acted upon.

This week involves getting ready for the World Fantasy Con in Saratoga Springs, NY next weekend. No rest for the weary. I managed to lay down, for a few minutes and let Halloween songs run over me, from The Lost 45's , a radio show from Boston that plays music you never hear anymore. Tonight was Halloween music- Rocky Horror-The Time Warp, Michael Jackson-Thriller,Ray Parker Jr- Ghostbusters, Bobby Boris Pickett-The Monster Mash, Warren Zevon-Werewolves of London...etc etc. A nice relief from the intensity of painting intensely. Some visual stuff this week, I promise. In the meantime I think I'll watch The Paul Lynde Halloween Special from 1976-Oh-my-Goodness!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home