Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A God of Art...on a TV near you!!!

One of my greatest influences, and "art idols" if you will, is J.M.W. Turner, perhaps the finest of the British Impressionists/Romantics. His techniques and persona were, reportedly, maddening. I knew why I liked him! While many gravitate to the Pre-Rafaelite influences, and that's all fine- for me, it's Turner and his ilk-Impressionists and Romantics. Turner was no slouch at doing fantasy imagery in his paintings, as I said in an earlier post about this. The ever-wonderful PBS is having a great series Simon Schama's Power of Art, on weekly. July 23rd is Turner's show. I've never seen any documentary on him so this will be a bit of an epiphany to me as well Nice to have alternative shows to those idiotic "reality shows"(I think "this too shall pass"). Check out the site for more info on this great series. If you click on "Explore the painting" you'll see one of his works that contains a "sea monster". There's also great points about the painting and even a vocal narration!!

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/powerofart/view.php?page=turner

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to see some of Turner's work at the Australian National Gallery many years ago. Stunning. But my heart still belongs to Monet.

I am curious as to what techniques of his were maddening though!

I really need to get my eyes checked (or could that be just the state of my mind), as I could have sworn the url you gave was for the "power 'o' fart". Or maybe an Italian site "powero fart".

Methinks I have spent far too much time in the laundry with fabric, dye and foil adhesive today........

8:21 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

I have the BOOK from that show!! And I saw some of the works in London at the Tate Gallery, in fact they'd just re-hung some and expanded the gallery somewhat. He was amazing..
What made people mad was his "varnishing". He'd be a real upstart about how he'd varnish his pictures right before presentation. This only made them burst with color and depth.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home