Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sepia Dragon!

Here's a sketch out of my sketchbook for a commission I am working on. It's just, at this point, a good direction and will probably change 60%, but the concept is to do a Hudson River type painting, with a dragon in it. All very foresty and mountainy, waterfalls and all. So, look back at my romantic castles and landscapes and waterfalls in the forest...and you see how it all ties into a bigger picture of what I am doing. I've been looking at Claude Lorrain lately, a French artist (1604-1682) who spent alot of time in Italy was an expert draughtsman at doing amazing drawings before executing large canvases. He used the medium of Sepia, which is in essence, brown ink applied with a crow quil pen, or brush. In this case I drew an ink drawing and wanted to give it some tone so I used sepia-Walnut ink. I like the "old" methods. This is abit sketchy but as I said, it's the first step in a larger commissioned work and things like this go through "stages" of development. This is sheerly compositional at this point, but, you get the idea. Enjoy! This gives you a peek into my earliest creative processes.
Something else...I have CONFIDENCE with my oil painting!! I have gained it back, thanks to this blog, and thanks to all the people who buy the little paintings here-I can't tell you how much it's helped me with my work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tessa said...

I like how the sepia gives depth to the sketch, although I can't figure out what Mr Dragon is sitting on.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Most likely a rather ancient rock. The plan is to add some ruins and such into it, abit overgrown. The idea is to first make a good shape and then, make the details work into that.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home