Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Memory of Trees...

The Grove(8x10, oil, $SOLD!)
I started this painting, from a picture we took out West, with brushes, and found myself diving back into "illustrator" mode-define,define,pick,pick, do every blade of grass...arrgh! So it was time for Behavior Modification-I "sentenced" myself to dropping the brush, and using a palette knife to paint with. These are triangular(some are)trowel-shaped tools that have a handle and are good for cleaning up your palette-scraping old paint off it-hence "palette knife". However, most artists use them for actually painting with-it makes you think in broad terms when painting so you scoop up some paint and literally smear it onto the canvas. It forces you to make accidents with paint, work for you. And then you can use it to mix and burnish down colors, and spread them around. The thing is you get this great texture as you pile up colors. That happened here, and the magic happened...I stepped back...and I said "yes!". Moments we live for.

4 Comments:

Blogger leslee said...

This is very nice. How large is it, by the way? It's hard to tell when you're seeing a photo on a computer screen.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Leslee! This one is 8x10 inches. One of my very favorite pieces thus far. This is a real exploration for me.

12:17 AM  
Blogger leslee said...

Oh, duh, it says right above the photo (or was that added?). Anyway, i love the texture in it. It has a very dreamy quality to it without the sharpness.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

There will be more like it...this was a real corner-turner here.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home