Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I'm A Melancholy Man....

The Ruin(9x12,oil, SOLD!)
Taking a line from The Moody Blues. This is the winter doldrums, the very bottom. The world is falling apart, there's very little to be happy about. So in a sense, it's interesting to think about ruins, and crumbled empires and things that could have been. Maybe this was someone's dream(until it burned down, fell over and sank into the swamp). For me, it's an imagined landscape. I like doing these alot. I have to say I channeled J.M.W. Turner in this one, and he answered. Just a dream of a painting to do. They should all be this fun. The paint was applied very thickly. No idea really, just paint worked until it formed something and the rest fell into place. I'm doing more like it. They are romantic and, interpretive of "real" landscapes and somehow look better than the real thing.

8 Comments:

Blogger Julie Rodriguez Jones said...

Dang you're good. Great mood, wonderful lighting. Love this romantic style.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks so much Julie! And for the other comments. Means alot! This is really the way I want to go. The thinking is, paint a landscape as REALISTIC as possible, but then, start with that Romantic slant to it and it transforms into something a photo can't capture.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob--Put me down as the owner of this one. Just lovely. Tell me how to get you money.--Toni Weisskopf

11:18 PM  
Blogger David B. Ellis said...

My favorite so far. I'd also love to see some astronomical art on this blog. In my opinion you've painted some of the best astronomical art ever created. Even Bonestell doesn't top you.

Have you considered posting your blog paintings on ebay. I sell many of my small paintings there and have had good success with it.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks for the comments.

I've refraned from Astro Art only because of the pigeonholing I got for doing it in the SF field.It's a style that I dropped some time ago-the awful airbrushing-and find more success, inside for me doing things like this in oils,of a more fantastic/realistic nature. Also, I am sure people who view realstic landscapes, etc have little interest in "astronomical" art. Haven't tried ebay, too much time to mess around with them.

12:49 PM  
Blogger David B. Ellis said...

I suppose that's always a danger when you're the best in the field at a particular subject---they want you to paint it til you get sick of it.

Great work though, regardless of the subject. I was thinking of buying this one but someone beat me to it. Next time I see one I especially like I'll have to act faster.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Tessa said...

I like this one a lot, especially the effect of the light coming through the clouds.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

David-the death of space art happened when the Hubble started transmitting those pictures. That's partly why I stopped doing it, and, as such I became less interested. I even turned down two "one man" shows that would have been space related just because...

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home