Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Monday, January 29, 2007

Borrowing Bierstadt....

Seal Rock-After Bierstadt(9x12, oil)(SOLD!)I got an invite to be in a show in Newport called "Fabulous Fakes, Frauds and Forgeries" at the Springbull Gallery. This was my chance to basically rip a Bierstadt-who I long have admired as a favorite artist-one which I had always liked. Plagerism you say? Nope. Artists do this all the time with the masters, just if anything to learn something of the way their heroes painted. I certainly did, as I got to kind of try and emulate the color palette and overall brushwork. So long as it is signed "After Bierstadt" then it legitimizes the piece. I enjoyed doing it, however, if only just to learn something of the way he painted. Did this in about two hours.

4 Comments:

Blogger David B. Ellis said...

Its amazing to me how you can create such paintings as this in a single sitting of only an hour or two.

I, and I'm sure, many of your other fans would love to see pictures of one of the daily paintings showing the various stages it goes through as you are working on it. I'm always curious as to an artist's working process.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks sir! I'll be doing a step by step soon! WOrking in the film biz has made me "fast".It's simply "just paint and think about it later". Let history decide whether it's good, even if that history is the day before.
I can work pretty well in a half hour as well, usually on objects and really impressionist work. I did not think I would get this entry for the show done in time, but it came together good. I have also thought, thanks to you, about doing some quick space pieces. Church painted a meteor entering the atmosphere which qualifies as space art...

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice Bob-san!

Bob certainly can work very fast. I've had the pleasure of working with him on some films.

You know what would be cool? Do a time lapse Quicktime movie for the site to show how a painting is "attacked". Cram an hour into 3o seconds. I'd love to see that!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

John-san! That's a great idea...I've toyed with this for abit now...hmmm. I will look into it...I do intend to do a step-by-step anyway.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home